Xj6 rebuild starts tomorrow

Work in progress? Car partially underway? If you want a spot to dedicate to the work this is where you'll want to go.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:09 pm

Well, back on topic for me! I've got today and tomorrow off, and will be finishing at least one door panel, starting on the other, doing tweeter pods, and finishing the last of the fiberglass for the back of my sub box, using Member02 and Fbi90909090909090's methods for glassing. I'm broke now, should have bought a five gallon thing of glass, I've already used six and paid a lot for it.

I'll start as soon as my workin' jeans get finished being washed. They were really narsty.

Chris
Member02

Postby Member02 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:39 pm

flak_monkey wrote:Well, back on topic for me! I've got today and tomorrow off, and will be finishing at least one door panel, starting on the other, doing tweeter pods, and finishing the last of the fiberglass for the back of my sub box, using Member02 and Fbi90909090909090's methods for glassing. I'm broke now, should have bought a five gallon thing of glass, I've already used six and paid a lot for it.

I'll start as soon as my workin' jeans get finished being washed. They were really narsty.

Chris

haha, I considered buying a 5 galloner... but luckily it's looking to be only 2 1/2 gallons, so I'm glad I didn't.. just imagine having 203 gallons of resin left, you'd get bored with it and end up fiberglassing many other things... not what I need.

I tell you what, the 17oz kyntex Biaxial cloth definately saved me some resin, it doesn't soak like 8oz chopped mat, but has the strength of that kind of mat easy, and it's brushable unlike any other mat/cloth I've ever touched. at $6.60 for square yard, I only bought 4 square yards and have about a yard left, well worth it!

tip, when all else fails use a hammer and beat it! it may not solve things, but it'll make you feel better.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:40 pm

Okay, I accomplished a lot this weekend. Door panel is ready for final coat of glass once tweeter pod is added, which I didn't start but oh well. I don't know if I like it now. Maybe I just am getting irritated with the lack of woofage. My main thing was finishing the back of the sub box, where the most fiberglassing is, and I did that. Two layers of fiberglass, 3/4 and 1/2 inch mdf reinforcement, and another two layers of fiberglass. Very thick and so strong it chews through sawzall blades like they were made of paper. The rest is just the baffle, the sides and to secure the box's top. All in all about five more hours of work on the box should do, it's around 80% done.

I like laying resin down, then glass, then more resin WAY better than I like spray adhesive then glass then resin method. You can certainly tell by the inside of my box which side I learned to use that method on. One side is nice and the other side is lumpy LMFAO. But it's still really strong, despite it's lumpiness. Forgot my camera. So no pics today. The box is curing in the car, stinking it up again.

Car has been acting up recently, still not quite sure what's causing my fluctuating idle. Looks like more time on the jag-lovers.org forums.

Chris
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:42 pm

PS whoever told me to use chop mat can go screw themselves with a gallon of fiberglass resin. That stuff doesn't brush well at all. Next time, it's slices of biaxial weave for me.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:05 pm

yea for real, Fawk chop mat, it is stong, after 5-10 layers... but biaxial is trong enough to hold my body weight after 3 layers. and I swear, it soaks less resin which is good since it's the sandwhiching of glass that causes strength, not the amount of resin inbetween layers.

you gotta have pictures, please tell me you have pictures, my lack of time to work on my box is making me want to live it through your project.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:14 pm

I think my garage is going to stink forever. No pics. I'll take some next week.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:21 pm

yeah, I was bitched at many times for the garage stink, hence the reason the last 30 or so pics were on top of grass...

and damn, that stink stays in your car for DAYS even weeks! I thought it lasted 3 weeks once but then I realized I kept the older bondo 1/4 gallon of resin in the backseat, I forgot about it after getting the US composites stuff... I threw it away, that stuff sucked so bad I didn't even want to use it.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:55 pm

I am soooo close to having a finished door panel. I have maybe three more bits of fiberglas to apply and that will be it, tweeter pod is finished and mounted. After that I will need body filler, guessing a half gal or maybe more. Then I can sand when it's greenware (term actually borrowed from pottery) but that will have to wait. Tomorrow I go in to work, and I'm hoping to get the sides of my sub box and the last tiny bit of my door panel done. i hate Bondo resin. I will mix the exact amount of hardener to resin each time, and it always dries differently. I don't have a measurer, but I drew a line on all my mixing cups and I count drops. I suppose I shouldn't complain though. My other door panel will have VERY little fiberglass (mainly because I'm sick of how much it costs).

So by sunday, I want the sides of my box finished as planned for this week, and I want the door panel finished glassing. I had to cut it a little to get it to fit, and it doesn't meet my nine litre target. I'm guessing maybe six. But with the speaker at thigh level, I doubt it will matter. Especially with a little equalization from that thar fancy processor I've been a-eyeballin'! (Some rural GA speak for you all).

Wish I had remembered my camera.

Chris
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:56 pm

Member02 wrote:yeah, I was bitched at many times for the garage stink, hence the reason the last 30 or so pics were on top of grass...

and damn, that stink stays in your car for DAYS even weeks! I thought it lasted 3 weeks once but then I realized I kept the older bondo 1/4 gallon of resin in the backseat, I forgot about it after getting the US composites stuff... I threw it away, that stuff sucked so bad I didn't even want to use it.

Which US composites resin did you get and how much did it set you back?
Member02

Postby Member02 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:25 am

flak_monkey wrote:Which US composites resin did you get and how much did it set you back?

B-440, $28 per gal, bought two, and 4 yrds of the kyntex biaxial cloth at 6.60$/yd, after shipping and tax was 101$

Return to “Project Logs”