Xj6 rebuild starts tomorrow

Work in progress? Car partially underway? If you want a spot to dedicate to the work this is where you'll want to go.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:45 pm

I just got done pulling the old box out of the car. Damn, what a pain. But it would have been utterly impossible to steal without a portable grinder. So the old box may get re-used for another project or I might give it away. I don't know which yet.

It took two hours to get the old box out.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:04 am

Just laid down second and third coats of fiberglass. One more ought to do, then I can Bondo, sand, and cover. Then, move on to the passenger's side door panel. Then the sub box. I miss having a sub. Might just do most of it out of mdf and get it over with. I want this finished in a few weeks.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:23 am

yea, you gotta love those class a/b amps, they kill your electrical system quick though, I love it!
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:50 pm

Oh, you bet I'm getting a H/O alt before I get the a1200.2
I already have a GM alternator fitted to the jag, so the upgrade will be easy.

all good things in time.
(this includes an engine swap to an LT1, 350, or 383 with a TH700).
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:38 pm

I have been hella busy since school started back. But I did get a ton of stuff in the mail. I got a niiiiiiiiiiice Tsunami/Metra/Raptor 1/0 ANL fuse holder that has a blue status LED and came with a free fuse, and some excellent heavy duty ring terminals from KNU. I ordered one for $6.75 and they bloody sent me a pair when I was expecting just one. The quality is really good. I love KNU stuff. I am replacing the big 3 with all zero gauge, and I want to get an orbital battery. My battery leaks something NASTY and the car is already prone to rust enough without any more messes caused by a stupid battery.
So that's the update for this week. I should be getting the driver's side door panel done soon and the car rewired this weekend. Also, I need to chase down a leak in the boot (that's british for the trunk) before I stick an MDF box in there so that it doesn't get ruined.
A-bleet a-bleet a-bleet THAT'S ALL FOLKS!

chris-o-saurus
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:30 pm

I've almost finished prepping the car to be wired. I had to treat some rust and reinforce some spots before I could go drilling and ruunning wire. It was too cold to do much else. I'm not working too much and have had to ship a gas tank to be rebuilt, so the cash is tight and that is slowing me down in addition to school. UGH I WANT THIS FINISHED!

found the leak in the trunk, need to tighten the trunk latch but didn't have the proper tool. All the wires are ready to be installed.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:45 am

goddamn. sounds like you need a helper.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:01 am

don't I know it. I knew this was going to be a huge undertaking. But I got the car wired up this morning. I'd like some more wire to redo a more complicated version of the big 3 that my car needs and put the fuse block a little bit further down. I ended up with a bit less wire than I'd planned. But the good thing is that everything is going smoothly. If I get off work early tomorrow, I'll start my tumult box and replace the trunk seal.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:00 pm

I laid down the final coat of fiberglass to my driver's side door panel today. All that's needed now is to trim the excess and attach it to the door panel cutout I've made.

I also laid down 1/2 of the first coat of glass for my tumult box, but I ran out of MEPK hardener and fiberglass mat. I need to get my paycheck before continuing. Hopefully my recent RAM purchase won't overdraw me. That'd suck ass. I'm happy with the progress I've made today and itching for more after work tomorrow.
Right now, though, I'm itchy from the fberglass!
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:35 pm

It's been a long while since I've posted any pictures, but I've made significant progress. I'm hoping to have the system functional by the end of spring break and totally finished by the end of this summer.

Here's some pictures to clue you in on the mess I've been making!

Here's the first coat of resin and fiberglass that I've laid down to cover the entire back seat area. Note that I ran out of resin. Using hot glue to stick the bits of chop mat down really helped me manage this process. Those are not air bubbles, they are areas where no resin was applied. I mixed it too hot and it was hard to spread. I overcompensated because the day I did it was 40 degrees warmer than on the day I started and I didn't adjust my mixture of MEPK to resin enough.

Here I ran out of resin AND chop

Upgraded battery terminal with KNU 1/0 wire and 1/0 battery cable. I like this terminal a lot better than KNU's re-branded P3 or partsexpress terminal that I had previously. It's expandable with mush less effort and fits my terminal post better. The red stuff is corrosion inhibitor from CRC. The stuff is amazing and really keeps your terminals cleaner than those felt pads.

Old and Knu. Knu Kolossus 1/0 in comparrison to my previous amp king parts express 4ga wire. I like the Kolossus because it is tinned, and will not oxidize nearly as much as regular OFC copper wire. OFC is sort of a marketing gimmick IMHO. It ALL oxidizes.

Imageanother shot of the back seat area and it's first coat of glass.

ImageKnu's Krystal Kable is an extremely high quality interconnect offering that is constructed very well. Simply unbeatable for the price. I paid $30 for 6 meter four channel cable for the ppi a404.2

Good stuff. So now you know what I've been up to. Still a ways to go, but I'm really making a dent considering how little time I have to work on it. The project is approaching NIF, or "near-infinite-labour"

Return to “Project Logs”