Yep, I'm doing another one, MT 18 as usual!

Work in progress? Car partially underway? If you want a spot to dedicate to the work this is where you'll want to go.
AsianInvasian69

Postby AsianInvasian69 » Mon May 28, 2007 11:07 pm

looking sweet
i wish my uncle would help me sand....damnit sanding sucks
the box is looking good i cant wait to see it finished

o flak ive been in some pretty good handling cars and i cant even imagine being in one of those jags but 2 sets of coilovers in the rear has to be hell i cant even imagine aftermarket suspension for that.....talk about cracking the bank
1995 ford ranger
Eclipse CD5000
MB Quart components
Subless for now...

2005 Yamaha r6

Subs in my room
Treo SSX15
XXX15
2 Tempest 15s
SE15
MT15
IA20.1 (amp)
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Mon May 28, 2007 11:23 pm

AsianInvasian69 wrote:looking sweet
i wish my uncle would help me sand....damnit sanding sucks
the box is looking good i cant wait to see it finished

o flak ive been in some pretty good handling cars and i cant even imagine being in one of those jags but 2 sets of coilovers in the rear has to be hell i cant even imagine aftermarket suspension for that.....talk about cracking the bank

AsianInvasion:
Let's just say the S-type R doesn't hold a candle to it. I don't know of any aftermarket springs. The set of four is like $120, and the original Boge shocks, the genuine German ones and not the turkish crap, can be like $65-$70 each.

Aftermarket bilstein HD shocks are about $120 a piece. Jag switched to Bilstein later, or so I've been told, but there is no real performance difference between the two.

Member: stick with it. Sanding sucks but with an orbital I don't see what's taking so long. Don't breathe that mess. You must have put it on sloppy. I know that I am going to COVER mine, after a layer of Bondo and a pass or two of sanding. Cover it with a thin layer of foam and some vinyl.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Tue May 29, 2007 9:02 am

oh yeah, I stopped using the orbital after the first coat of filler (it leaves little swirls from the corners of the paper, they are just too deep to prime out...)

I made a horrible mistake of adding too little hardener to my last batch of filler... I needed the extra time to work with the stuff so I could fill in a ton of pin holes and mini craters...

after 3 hours it was too sticky to sand away smoothly... so I resorted to adding another layer of filler with lots of hardener above that...

PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then I spent about 2 hours hand sanding with 80, 150 and 220 grit, now I discovered glazer/spot putty by accident at autozone... works like a miracle, it's all I needed in the first place!!! I'm sooo mad I had to resand the damn thing again!!!

so tonight it should be perfect for painting...
Member02

Postby Member02 » Tue May 29, 2007 1:54 pm

flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Tue May 29, 2007 1:56 pm

It's so shapely and purrrrdy. Like a woman. Make sexxors to teh moofage!
Member02

Postby Member02 » Tue May 29, 2007 2:01 pm

yes, I was influenced by this black girls massive hips, that's how I came up with the curves between the port and sub...

haha, jk.
Member02

yayyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Member02 » Tue May 29, 2007 7:06 pm

wow, finally done sanding...

Yea, I put the first color coat on REALLY thin...

I was wondering, should I sand between color coats? or is it not necessary? I haven't a clue, it's soo smooth, I sanded it down to 800grit smooth before that coat.
fbi90909

Postby fbi90909 » Tue May 29, 2007 7:43 pm

when i painted mine i sprayed on a semi thin first layer. then went with more layers 30 minutes per layer. just spray from a distance though and use 1 direction of spraying. like left to right, left to right, left to right, never stopping the the spray can over the enclosure as you can get over spray spots from switching directions. i wouldn't worry about using more that 1-2 cans on just 2 layers. i used up about 2 1/2 cans. and 1 can of clear coat. if you over spray in one spot, re-spray the entire area until it all blends. thats just about what i did. is the paint you have kinda metallic? looks shiney like it was from the thin layer you have on it. more layers, more pics!
Member02

Postby Member02 » Tue May 29, 2007 7:53 pm

well, I couldn't find a matching color for the plastic inside my car (I took out a peice of paneling and took it into autozone... no match...) So I am stuck with the next best thing, a dark metallic gray.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Tue May 29, 2007 7:54 pm

I'll be able to finish the painting tomorrow, it was getting cold and dark when I tookthose pics.

Return to “Project Logs”