Yep, I'm doing another one, MT 18 as usual!

Work in progress? Car partially underway? If you want a spot to dedicate to the work this is where you'll want to go.
Member02

woah!!!!!!!!!! my face if red from fumes.

Postby Member02 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:59 pm

I swear, my body absorbs these resin fumes, I wear a mask, and my skin is visibly red everywhere open, I have this line from the mask of white skin meeting red skin.

anyhow, I added one layer and two layers in a couple spots (would've done more but I didn't make a big enough batch of resin)

this time I took the trouble of taking off one glove and taking pics, putting the glove back on, working, taking it off, taking a pic, and so on...

here's the sequence in order... I even added a picture of how much I cut in advance, and how I always cut oddball shapes and sizes, since I almost never do the same exact laying pattern.

tip: you'll notice if you looks closely at the oddly shaped peice going over the hump, it's been cut several times to allow it to bend around the bump without causing air bubbles.

me sanding VERY lightly, to get rid of hairs that were sticking up (which was only in this tiny spot, thanks to the 'jabbing' method, I get a nearly smooth finish each time.)

this is step 4 from above, simple to do, but helps a ton in keeping the mat down.

this is what it looks like 'jabbed' by the brush in a couple spots...

this is how it looks after I added more resin as needed while jabbing

another spot:

more:

Corners are especially tricky, I find that getting the entire corner saturated before saturating the rest of the mat helps keep it in place, but it'll still move a bit, so take your time on these peices as they are important as well.

more

as you see above, it's getting somewhat thicker at around 5 layers overall, I'm surprised I'm not out of resin already, I'm guessing I can do what I've done today once more before I'm out.

Hopefully I'll have my US Composits resin in tomorrow or thursday. and the biaxial mat, which is how I plan to finish up the mold strength.

tomorrow I'm going to add yet more glass mat, and start planning out the baffle with dowel rods, and get everyone's opinion on that.
KU40

Postby KU40 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:31 pm

awesome man. nice step by step pics
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
John

Postby John » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:32 pm

Good progress...BACK TO WORK!!!

CBFryman wrote:Nah, but when we get an acid spill on our skin we like to douse it with a healthy bit of sodium hydroxide. :cwm12:

Yeah...right...you go ahead and do that, lyer...:cwm11:
CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:48 pm

I..I..I swear :cwm11:

Looking good. Nice and thick.
Penguin4x4

Postby Penguin4x4 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:52 pm

Looks like an ooey gooey good time :cwm12: :cwm11: :cwm17:
milenk0

Postby milenk0 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:27 pm

John wrote:

Yeah...right...you go ahead and do that, lyer...:cwm11:

he does speak some sense, BaOH, or NaOH is usually around the labs for harsh spills, ie. 12+ molar hydrochloric and sulfuric, but they have these things called gloves that are the darndest things.... you spill acid on em, and you can take em off before it burns through. it's weird. oh, and the hypochloric/hypochlorous acid requires special handling, if you get some on you're skin you're SOL. besides ap chem shouldn't even be messing with hypochloric. the hoods in high schools aren't designed with that ventilation.

and now, to an on-topic comment.....
how many layers do you plan to do?
with a box that size and with that many curves, i would think it would be strong enough already.
And Shepherds we shall be, for Thee my lord for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee,
and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.

DO NOT BUY FROM LOW-HZ OR PENNYPUSHERS OR SHOWRIDES.NET
Member02

Postby Member02 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:39 am

I don't think it is strong enough, I can easily move it around the flatter spot still, though the wheel well bump is plenty strong now.

but hey, you haven't seen the 18MT make a 150lb MDF box jump, literally 1" off the floor of a vehicle because 20hz made it move soo much...

I'm making this thing too strong.
John

Postby John » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:41 am

Member02 wrote:but hey, you haven't seen the 18MT make a 150lb MDF box jump, literally 1" off the floor of a vehicle because 20hz made it move soo much...

No, but I, along with others here, have seen a certain 15" walk across a living room floor...
tommy

Postby tommy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:50 am

so you glass with a mask but don't sand with one?
i have nice things to say to people that deserve it. the queers that piss me off get what they deserve.....:cwm15:
Member02

Postby Member02 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:02 am

Return to “Project Logs”