how long until you don't have to do emissions?

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
flak_monkey

how long until you don't have to do emissions?

Postby flak_monkey » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:00 pm

I live in GA and own a 1987 Jaguar Xj6 series 3. It is a big, heavy car, 4.2 litre straight six with not a lot of hp but a good bit of torque. I was wondering how long until a car doesn't have to pass emissions? I want to run either open headers or no catalytic converter or mufflers w/ bigger exhaust, get better mileage and more hp that way right? At least, that is, until I can drop a nice small block chevy v8 in there and a turbo 400 transmission.
Let me know.
I cannot go to the xj6 forums with this (they hate it when people but v8's in jags) and the LUMP (V8 converted jags Less Upkeep More Power- LUMP) are not so friendly.
So how long until a car doesn't have to pass emissions anymore?
Thanks,
Chris
JordanBrown

Postby JordanBrown » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:22 pm

I believe it is a 30 year deal, so you have quite a ways to go.

BTW screw the jag forum people, some people on BMW forums were saying how bmw is a luxury car, and you would ruin the car by putting in an LS1 or LT1.... Oh well.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:30 pm

Well damn that was quick. I thought it was 20 years. Anyhow, the guys at jag-lovers.org (at least the XJ forum) are okay, they are just...well, old. They like things how jag made them. Some of them even let the guys at best buy install their head units, so you can guess that I am one out of every 500 or so members on the classic forums (before ford) who has a subwoofer in his car.

Thanks,
Chris
Francious70

Postby Francious70 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:36 pm

Actually, I think it's anything before 1974 maybe 72, but I think everything after that has to go thru emissions.
josh99ta

Postby josh99ta » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:40 pm

In TN it's a rolling 30 years I believe. Not sure on other state laws but I'd assume they were similar.
2006 Pontiac GTO :: Stock and Staying That Way
1999 Pontiac Trans Am :: Gone but Not Forgotten
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:54 pm

We don't have to do them here in MN.
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:10 pm

in VA its 25 years.

don't remove the cat though, headers & exhaust + cat will still be street legal. The gains from removing the cat are neglible in most cases and just pollute more.

the jag lump is actually a nice motor and a derivative of what was used in the Etypes of yore. Why not look at doing something fun like supercharging it and skipping the chevy route (however, if you want the chevy route, I know someone thats done it, I can introduce you).

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:16 pm

Okay I found it. In Georgia, it is 25 years, then no more emissions tests.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:22 pm

Why go with chevy? Becuase there is not a supercharger kit for the XK engine, it has a very low rpm limit, and chevy parts are so much friggin cheaper. Like $25 for water pump vs ~$200 for the jag one.
It is getting to the point where this car is hard to afford when certain parts break, but I don't make enough to get a new car or have time to spend fixing a whole new set of problems that come with that. Besides, I LOVE Kitty (my car). I don't think I'll ever get rid of her. I am one of those people who love their cars WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much. I know several people who lumped their XJ's. I'd like to talk to some more. But at my current salary as a computer animation student, I make hardly enough to put gas in the damn thing, so I'd be doing this when I get out of school.
Thanks, everybody!:)
Chris
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:24 pm

Oh yeah, and by lump I meant Less Upkeep More Power, not the one from the e-type. I also have a 67 3.8 S type that needs 2 carbs and seatbelts *it has none*

Return to “Automotive Performance”