Harris Xover/bassbox pro 3

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
Tarzann

Harris Xover/bassbox pro 3

Postby Tarzann » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:29 pm

Anyone who has used these, how good are they?

Specifically, is Bassbox better than the WinIsd I already use, enough to justify the $100 cost?

How good are the results from Xover Pro? Are the solutions calculated by the program ready to use, or is further tweaking/voicing necessary?

The level of results I'm looking for is along the lines of the Exodus Audio models.

To clarify: For example if I inputed the driver specs and design goals (cabinet size,etc.) for the drivers used in the Exodus LCR, would the program show a crossover design identical to (or nearly so) the actual design produced by Exodus? If so, this would tell me that the program produces results at that level, and could therefore be used to create different designs with different drivers at a similar level of results (varied of course by the quality of the drivers and their compatibility with each other).

(Anyone own the program and want to try the above experiment?)

Thanks,
Dave
98 Contour
Clarion DRX-9255:Zapco SL-7:Phoenix Gold EQ-230 (soon to be Audio Control DQX I hope):dual PG mx3i's:PG Bass Cube : feeding 5 PG MPS-2240's and a MPS-2500: currently Vifa/MB Quart drivers, soon to be Adire Tumult 18 :Tempest 10 under dash:Extremis mids:FR125's
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:10 pm

98 Contour
Clarion DRX-9255:Zapco SL-7:Phoenix Gold EQ-230 (soon to be Audio Control DQX I hope):dual PG mx3i's:PG Bass Cube : feeding 5 PG MPS-2240's and a MPS-2500: currently Vifa/MB Quart drivers, soon to be Adire Tumult 18 :Tempest 10 under dash:Extremis mids:FR125's

They won't be making a tumult 18.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:27 pm

flak_monkey wrote:98 Contour

They won't be making a tumult 18.

Where the hell did that come from?

Tarzann... I've never used the program myself... I've heard some about it, but I don't believe it will offer you anything that WinISD isn't already.

If you need a substantial jump in quality crossover design, you may as well go balls to the wall and buy a copy of Sound Easy, and perhaps even a mic/preamp to go with it. It's a very dense and complex program (I own a copy although I don't know where it is right now) but is widely considered the cat's meow for quality xover design, and a few of the best hobbyist loudspeaker people I know use this program religiously. Like, people who make "Dr. Bose" look like a joke... Which he is anyway.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
Tarzann

Postby Tarzann » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:18 am

Atomic Fusion wrote:Where the hell did that come from?

check my sig...apparently I have not updated it in quite a while:)

Atomic Fusion wrote:Tarzann... I've never used the program myself... I've heard some about it, but I don't believe it will offer you anything that WinISD isn't already.

If you need a substantial jump in quality crossover design, you may as well go balls to the wall and buy a copy of Sound Easy, and perhaps even a mic/preamp to go with it. It's a very dense and complex program (I own a copy although I don't know where it is right now) but is widely considered the cat's meow for quality xover design, and a few of the best hobbyist loudspeaker people I know use this program religiously. Like, people who make "Dr. Bose" look like a joke... Which he is anyway.

Adam

Thanks for the idea, I'll check into that program as well.
98 Contour

flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:25 am

Tarzann wrote:check my sig...apparently I have not updated it in quite a while:)

Thanks for the idea, I'll check into that program as well.

sound easy is REALLY good.
CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:53 pm

Why pay $100 for BBP. I'm not advocateing stealing software but they pretty much gave it away after someone made a cracker and people started boot legging it. I dont find the software all that useful. Leap, Term Pro, or bust. :)
Tarzann

Postby Tarzann » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:37 am

Wow, checked out the SoundEasy...looks great, except I'll need a new computer to run the thing! Still using an old Celeron 700 with 320meg ram. :cwm17: Even WinIsd locks it up if I have more than 4-5 projects open at once.

Gotta learn a lot more just to use it as well. :cwm22:

Thanks!
98 Contour

Return to “Home Audio/Video”